How old do I have to be to drive a go kart?

The minimum age 4 years old and 12o cm tall.

 Do you have any double karts?

No. We encourage drivers to drive their own kart. We believe anybody can drive once they can a bit of training and briefing.

How do I get to MakoTrac?
The only way to MakoTrac is by car (rental car) or motorbike.

Is there public transport to MakoTrac?
No, there is however transport to Mareeba.

Do I have to book in advance?
Bookings are not necessary for fewer than 10 persons. However, it’s always best to call to see how busy we are.

Can I pay by credit card?
Yes. All cards are accepted (American Express plus 3%).

Can I pay a deposit for group bookings online?

Which is the best time of day to visit?
Our opening times are from 10 am to 4:30pm. Our Peak time is from 11:00 to 1:00 pm.

What is the latest time to register to race?
Before 4:30 pm.

What is the latest time to play mini golf?
4 pm in the afternoon.

How much does it cost?
Please refer to the current price list.

Can children drive at MakoTrac?
Yes, there are special karts (Bambini class) available for children from 4 years. The minimum age for regular karts is 7 years.

Do I get training and instructions before I race?
Yes, MakoTrac staff will fully brief you on the track and the karts before you go. They will also indicate to you the correct racing line around the hire kart circuit. » more information about safety

Can I rent a helmet and race gear at the track?
Yes, helmets are provided free of charge. You can also rent closed 
footwear, gloves, and goggles, if required.

What do I have to do to race a fast kart?
All drivers that first visit us, must start in the 1 Star Kart (Standard). They must then qualify and be upgraded to the next star grading. » more information about star grading

Do I need a drivers licence to race?

I am under 18. Can I sign the indemnity form?
No. Your legal guardian (over 18) must sign this for you (compulsory requirement).

What happens if I damage a kart?
You have to pay for any damage caused.

What happens if another racer runs into my kart?
That racer will have to pay for any damage caused.

What happens in case of an accident?
Everybody has to sign an indemnity form and is responsible for their own actions, including injury to oneself or others or MakoTrac property. 

I have got a CAMS, AKA or other national or international racing licence. Can I upgrade to the quickest kart immediately?
Unfortunately no. You have to verify your driving skill level to MakoTrac staff by starting off with the One Star kart. Once you have established your credentials you may be upgraded to a more powerful kart. Any upgrade is entirely at the discretion of MakoTrac staff and there is no entitlement to be upgraded at any time.

Is there supervision at the track to ensure adults and children can race safely?
Yes, any racing activity is monitored continuously by MakoTrac staff. Staff have the ability to shut down any kart at any time to stop any dangerous on-track behaviour.

Can I bring some friends and we can all race together?
Yes, MakoTrac permits up to 10 karts on the track at the same time.

Do I have to wear glasses when racing a go kart?
Yes, either sunglasses or your prescription glasses.

Is there food and drink available at MakoTrac?
Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages are available at the Cafeteria.

I have consumed alcohol. Can I race?

Can I bring my own alcoholic drinks?
No. No alcohol is to be consumed on the premises (except in the licensed restaurant).

Can I bring my own food?
Yes, within limits, but no non-alcoholic beverages.

Is MakoTrac a smoke-free environment?
Yes, but there are certain designated smoking areas.

It is raining in Cairns. Is the track open?
If it rains in Cairns there is a 90% chance that MakoTrac/Mareeba will be dry. You may also call us and verify if the track is open.

Can I race a kart in wet conditions?
Yes. You have to adapt your speed and distance to other karts on the track. However, if the track is too wet, the staff may close to track and also restricted which karts are available to hire on a wet track.